Hamsters are typically easy pets to take care of, making them a well-liked pet for kids and adults alike. Their dietary wants are pretty straightforward, and timothy hay and a precisely made hamster food are all they should stay a long and healthy life.
Can hamsters eat avocado? That mentioned, we are sometimes tempted to add variation to our pet’s diet and spoil them with treats from time to time.
This often comes within the type of fruit, and avocados are common fruits that owners are sometimes tempted to treat their pets with. However, can hamsters eat avocados? Are avocados safe for hamsters?
Whereas the flesh of avocados is non-toxic to hamsters, they need not eat avocado regularly. In this article, we’ll check out all the things you must find out about feeding this delicious fruit to your pet hamster. Let’s get began!
- 1 Can Hamsters Eat Avocado?
- 2 How To Give Your Hamster Avocado?
- 3 Potential Hazards Of Feeding Avocado To Your Hamster
- 4 Healthy Avocado Alternate Options For Hamsters
- 5 How Many Avocados Should You Feed Your Hamster?
- 6 How Many Avocados Should A Syrian Hamster Eat?
- 7 How Many Avocados Should A Roborovski Hamster Eat?
- 8 How Many Avocados Should A Dwarf Hamster Eat?
- 9 Final Thoughts
Can Hamsters Eat Avocado?
Avocados are green fruits that might be favorites in salads, smoothies, and on their very own. They’re highly nutritious and versatile, filled with helpful nutrients and vitamins.
Avocados are excessive in monosaturated fats, which are considered “good” fats sparsely, and they’re additionally filled with fiber and are excessive in energy and low in sugar.
These advantages make them a fantastic addition to a nutritious diet for people. However, the massive variety of calories and fats make them a less-than-ideal alternative to your hamster.
Avocados comprise the most amount of fats of any fruit on the planet essentially and have 160 calories per 100-gram serving, with 132 of these calories coming from fats. That is nice for people. However, this fat amount is much too excessive to feed your hamster safely.
How To Give Your Hamster Avocado?
When you’re giving treats reminiscent of avocado, to your hamster, at all times, ensure you are holding them or be sure you are near them.
Giving treats to your pet hamster can strengthen your bond and help in socializing them. Only give a small quantity to your hamster at first, that is, to determine if they like this fruit.
There’s no level giving your hamster plenty of it if they only ignore it! Your hamster may put the meals of their cheek peaches, although.
Just remember to wash the avocado earlier than cooking it! This removes any worries about pesticides or different nasties hurting your pet! You must also cook it without salt or any other additives!
Think about feeding avocado to your hamster as a part of a diet together with treats like pumpkin seeds, cabbage, and carrots! These types of issues are friendly to your pet, so long as you be sure you feed them within the correct amounts.
Potential Hazards Of Feeding Avocado To Your Hamster
Whereas avocados are non-toxic to your hamster and should even provide advantages in tiny amounts, we extremely suggest leaving them off the menu thoroughly.
There are several causes for this, together with:
- Choking hazards. Each the pores and skin and enormous stone of avocado can splinter and current a possible choking hazard to your hamster.
- Avocados are incredibly excessive in calories and fats and, even in small quantities, could cause your hamster to achieve extreme weight. Whereas it might be high-quality to feed them tiny amounts on uncommon occasions, it’s still dangerous to feed such fatty food to your hamster, and we suggest leaving it out entirely.
- Dental issues. Avocado might be dangerous to your hamster’s teeth, though it’s not notably arduous. The soft and sticky texture of the avocado flesh can get caught in your hamster’s teeth and trigger rapid tooth decay.
- Food pouches. Hamsters have small meals pouches of their cheeks, and the smooth flesh of an avocado can get lodged there. It could then turn out to be impacted and potentially cause a painful abscess that may turn out to be a critical health problem to your hamster.
- Avocados are pretty acidic, which may cause digestive and dental issues for hamsters, even in small quantities.
Opposite to popular perception, hamsters within the wild are usually not herbivores and are identified to feed on insects like crickets and beetles when given the prospect.
In captivity, hamsters will get all their required diet from timothy hay and specifically made hamster meals, with only occasional vegetables and fruit.
Healthy Avocado Alternate Options For Hamsters
Since avocado is off the menu, chances are you’ll be wondering what healthy treats you may give your hamster.
Keep in mind that whereas the following charms are safe for hamsters, they aren’t essential to your hamster’s health and may only be given sparingly and sometimes. Healthy treats include:
- Green beans
How Many Avocados Should You Feed Your Hamster?
The amount of avocado you must feed your hamster relies on their breed. Syrian hamsters are the giant breed of hamsters, meaning they will eat the most.
However, Dwarf hamsters are the minor sort of hamsters. And so, they can only have a tiny quantity of avocado. Should you give your hamster an excessive amount of avocado, it will cause critical health issues.
How Many Avocados Should A Syrian Hamster Eat?
Syrians are the giant breed of hamsters. They’ll eat the most avocado essentially. However, you continue to must be cautious!
Give your Syrian hamster an ear-sized piece of avocado each week. This may occasionally not appear to be so much for us, however to your hamster, and it’s pretty a bit.
How Many Avocados Should A Roborovski Hamster Eat?
Robo Hamsters are greater than Syrians, which naturally means they can not eat a lot of avocados. Give your Robo hamster round a paw piece of avocado each week.
This should be a smaller size piece than the one you give your pet Syrian hamster. Should you give your hamster an excessive amount of avocado, it will possibly cause long-term health issues.
How Many Avocados Should A Dwarf Hamster Eat?
Dwarf hamsters, together with Chinese, Campbell, and Russian hamsters, are smaller than the common hamster.
This means that they can’t eat plenty of the food that we people can eat! Feed them a tiny earpiece of avocado each week! That is only a tiny quantity. However, it’s sufficient for them.
Whereas a small quantity of avocado isn’t prone to send your hamster to the vet, and feeding avocado to hamsters is technically high-quality because it’s non-toxic to them, it’s a much better concept to keep away from it altogether.
Avocados are calorie-dense and excessive in fats and might swiftly cause weight problems in your pet hamster. Avocados can even potentially cause critical digestion and dental issues, even in small quantities.
Whereas avocados are technically non-toxic to hamsters, many different threats might be much better to sometimes spoil your pet hamster with!